Consumer Reports, December 2011 issue:
Best buy Shiraz and Zinfandel just in time for the parties of the season. All $10 or less. It may be worthy to check them out:
- Alice White $7 Mix of jammy black fruit with spicy licorice and caramelized notes on finish. A trace of bitterness, leather and brown sugar adds interest.
- The Little Penguin $7 Strong wood and char flavors followed by jammy black-fruit flavors on finish.
- Yellow Tail $7 Tasty red and black fruit with prominent vanilla and hint of cinanamon flavor.
- Dancing Bull $10 Tasty from beginning to end: good structure and well-balanced, with a soft fruity finish.
- Old Moon (Trader Joe’s exclusive) $6 Nice, easy drinking, jammy. Light on structure but lost of fruit.
- Bogle $10 Supple, easy easy drinking, with red and black fruit and soft wood flavors. Traces of alcohol and bitterness.
Best choices from tests of 35 products.